Thursday, June 7, 2012

Noodle Soup with Broccoli and Dumplings

I'm trying to eat healthy. I'm trying to stop eating out as often. I've noticed that since I moved away from home, I have a tendency to eat out a lot. I'm getting a little tired of take out, and my wallet is too. I figure by writing a blog, I'll be more inclined to cook for myself more often. I mean I'm sure at some point I'll review stuff I have had while out, and oftentimes (like for the meal I had last night), I'll pair my meal with something I've bought ready-to-eat. But hopefully for the most part, I'll be making most of my food. So last night on my way home, I walked past the small hole of a Vietnamese place I usually walk by. I was pretty hungry and I saw they had shrimp spring rolls on the menu, so I stopped in and bought an order. I'd planned to make ravioli that night (I made it tonight instead) but since I had spring rolls, I opted to go on a more Asian route and made a noodle soup. Super simple recipe, and it really hit the spot. The broth is simply soy sauce, salt, and water. It really hit the spot after a long day at work, but I'm probably biased because I'm pretty happy whenever I have noodle soup.



Instructions:
- Make your broth. Once it is boiling, add the noodles and cook as instructed.
- [Optional: Pour out the amount of broth you'd like in your soup and place to side prior to adding extra ingredients. I don't like cooking raw dumplings or noodles in my soup because of the flour that coats them]. 
- Add dumplings (or wonton or potstickers) as well as vegetable of choice. Remove vegetables when they are to liking. Keep cooking noodles until al dente, and cook dumplings until they float to the top of the pot.
- If you haven't already, spoon out enough broth to use as your soup. Place dumplings and vegetables to the side and rinse noodles with cold water. This will keep the noodles from getting too soft.
- Place rinsed noodles back on stove. Add the broth and dumplings and cook until it comes to a boil. Plate, and add vegetables to the top.

I paired it with my Vietnamese spring rolls.

Soy Sauce Broth:
- Fill pot half full with water.
- Add soy sauce until it reaches a light brown color. Add salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil

The whole meal took less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment